Greater Mt. Sinai Baptist Church, join us as we grow in faith!
The 21-Day Daniel Fast
Beginning: Sunday, March 4 at 7 pm
Ending: Sunday, March 25 at 7 pm
Fasting is a spiritual discipline that helps us focus intently on God and seek His guidance, wisdom, and intervention. Fasting is entering into a highly focused time of prayer, study, worship, and devotion.
"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2, 3
For additional information on the Daniel Fast: www.daniel-fast.com
Purpose of the Fast
- Pray for the continued fulfillment of our church vision
- Pray for love and outreach in our community
- Pray for the God to send the new members/laborers that HE has for us
- Pray to improve our spiritual walk with God
- Pray for the church members, their families and leadership
- Pray for our sick and bereaved families at GMSBC
- Pray to improve our financial commitment to God
- Pray for racial healing and harmony
- Pray for those hurting from abuse, neglect, hunger, loneliness
Foods to INCLUDE in your diet during the Daniel Fast:
- All FRUITS. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned (with no added sugar; in natural juice). Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon
- All VEGETABLES. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.
- All WHOLE GRAINS, including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.
- All NUTS & SEEDS, including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also nut butters including peanut butter.
- All LEGUMES. These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
- All QUALITY OILS including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame.
- BEVERAGES: WATER ONLY. Can add fresh fruit or vegetables (lemon, lime, cucumber, etc.) to water for flavor.
- OTHER: Plant based milks including soy, almond, coconut (for recipes), tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs & spices
Foods to AVOID on the Daniel Fast:
- All meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish.
- All dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.
- All sweeteners including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.
- All leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.
- All refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
- All deep-fried foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips and vegetables.
- All solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.
- Beverages including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol. Drink water only.
Other components of the Fast
- Pray three times a day: morning, noon and night; see the prayers below. Also:
- Attend weekly prayer meeting at 8:00 pm on Wednesdays, and
- Call into the Prayer Call line on Wednesdays at 6:00 am.
- Dates: March 7, 14 & 21
- Time: 6:00 am - 6:30 am
- Dial-in number: (605) 475-6700, Access Code 638-6405#
- Read the recommended daily scriptures during the Daniel Fast.
- The scriptures will be printed in the church bulletin
- They will be available on the church website
- Sign up to receive them daily via email at the Daniel Fast site: https://faithdrivenlife.lpages.co/df-daily-devotions-2017/
- Exercise three or more times a week for 30 minutes, if physically able
- Invite someone to attend church during the Fast
- Read the book "The Daniel Fast“ by Susan Gregory
- Available online at ChristianBook.com, Amazon or your local Lifeway store. Ask for internet price-matching if purchased from Lifeway.
- If you cannot participate because of health or dietary reasons, there are other things you could substitute that are not dietary, such as:
- Limit television viewing, listening to the radio, going to movie theatres or reading newspapers; limit or avoid social media; limit or avoid eating out; limit or avoid shopping. The time available after cutting out or limiting these activities could be used to extend your time in bible study, prayer and meditation.
Fast preparation & prayer (recommended): Monday, February 26 - Saturday, March 3
The Daniel Fast is based on the fasting experiences of the Old Testament prophet. It’s a partial fast where some foods are eaten while others are restricted. The Holy Spirit joins you in this experience as you open your heart to receive from the Lord.
You’ll want to prepare your spirit and your soul and your physical body for the Daniel Fast beginning about a week before your start date.
- Prepare your spirit by seeking God and His direction for your fast. Seek the Lord’s input to decide your purpose and special focus for the fast. Perhaps there is a habit to break or a new discipline to embrace. Are there relationship that need healing or financial pressures that need fixing. Start preparing your spirit now so when you begin your fast you are primed and ready.
- Prepare your soul by clearing as many distractions as you can. Distractions can come in many forms including busyness, attitudes, fears and other emotions that are not consistent with God’s ways.
- Prepare your body by tapering off caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, etc.) so that you are totally free of the substance when you begin your fast. For most people, it takes about seven days to withdraw from caffeine. This step is essential if you want to avoid painful and debilitating withdrawal symptoms.
- You’ll also want to cut back on foods that contain a lot of sugar including candy, sweets, sodas, and desserts.
- Take the time to shop for foods you’ll need and plan menus.
Special note: If you have health issues, please be sure to contact your health professional for advice before committing to any fast including the Daniel Fast. Consider the non-dietary options provided.
There are so many things I take for granted. May I not ignore them today. Just for today, help me God, to remember that my life is a gift, that my health is a blessing, that this new day is filled with awesome potential, that I have the capacity to bring something wholly, new and unique and good into this world.
Just for today, help me God, to remember to be kind and patient to the people who love me, and to those who work with me too. Teach me to see all the beauty that I so often ignore, and to listen to the silent loving of my own soul.
Just for today, help me God to remember you.
Let this be a good day, God, full of joy and love. Amen.
A Prayer for the Body
Thank you, God, for the body you have given me. Most of the time I take my health for granted. I forget how fortunate I am to live without pain or disability, how blessed I am to be able to see, hear, walk, and eat. I forget that this body of mine with all its imperfections is a gift from you.
When I am critical of my appearance, remind me God that I am created in your holy image. If I become jealous of someone else's appearance, teach me to treasure my unique form.
Help me God to care for my body. Teach me to refrain from any actions that will bring harm to me. If I fall prey to a self-destructive habit, fill me with the strength to conquer my cravings.
Lead me to use my body wisely, God guide my every limb, God, to perform acts of compassion and kindness.
I thank you God for creating me as I am. Amen.
Prayer for the Unity in the Body of Christ
(For prayer at noon)
Help us, Lord, as we work together to build your empire. Help us to be the light that leads the world to you.
God, may we be good role models to the people around us so that when they see You and your love within us, they would want to know you more and more.
God, grant us the patience to work together; bring us all together as a family. Help us to work together with understanding and compassion in our hearts. Amen.